H.E. WYCLIFFE OPARANYA MAKES GOOD HIS PLEDGE ON MUMIAS SUGAR COMPANY
H.E. Wycliffe Ambetsa Oparanya today received hearty cheers from members of the public when he walked into the premises of Mumias Sugar Company to address management staff and tour the factory.
Last week the governor told sugarcane farmers the County government had made a decision to intervene and stop the company’s board of directors from stripping the assets of Mumias company and safeguard the interests of wananchi.
He said that the board, whose members were apparently unhappy with the government decision, could do nothing to stop the intervention which was done in public interest.
During his engagement with staff, they appealed for help to have their salary arrears of 2 and half years paid. They also narrated their predicament following termination of staff medical facility and health insurance cover. Some said they could hardly pay school fees for their children.
The governor assured them that the County government was perhaps the only party interested in protecting the company’s assets and committed to finding a revival formula for the factory whose machines are now idle and rapidly depreciating.
The staff welcomed H.E.’s decision to appoint a committee to develop a plan for revival of the company.
He annouced the appointment of the following members:
1. Mr. Kassim Were (CECM for Trade, Industrialization and Tourism) – Chairman
2. Mr. Joshua Kutekha(Deputy County Secretary) – Member
3. Mr. Jeremiah Namunyu(Chief Officer Agriculture) – Member
4. Ambassador James Ochami (Chief Officer Service Delivery) – Member
5. Mr. Moses Sande (County Attorney) – Member
6. Hon. Joel Ongoro (Leader of Majority) – Member
7. Hon. Rocky Omwendo (Area MCA) – Member
8. Hon. Godliver Omondi (MCA Kholera ward) – Member
9. Hon. Charles Odanga (MCA Mumias Central ward) – Member
10. The area DCC – observer, taking care of the interests of the national government
11. The Area OCPD – Member, to ensure maintenance of security
Additional slots will be given to a workers union representative and a member of management.
*Terms of Reference*
1. To ensure the community’s land (Mumias nucleus estate) is safeguarded
2. Recommend ways of safeguarding other assets of the company
3. Advise the County government how Mumias Sugar Company can be revived
The committee will be free to sit with the board and management to enrich their report which should be submitted to H.E. the governor in 2 weeks’ time.